Sports

Junior Tennis Set For Fireworks As Love 40 Tournament Returns with 95 Stars

By Pauline Ngozoh·August 19, 2026

By Pauline Ngozoh

Zambia’s top junior tennis prospects are bracing for a high-octane weekend as the Love 40 tournament serves off, with President Sydney Bwalya promising “first-round matches that are on fire” from the very start.

Speaking ahead of the event, Bwalya said about 95 participants are expected to compete across all age groups, from 10-and-under to 20-and-under for both boys and girls. The format remains the same as last year, but the intensity is set to rise after a year in which Zambian juniors gained valuable exposure on the international circuit. “Many of the juniors were able to participate in J30 and ITF tournaments in Angola and many other neighboring countries,” Bwalya said. “We actually expect more TIFA competition this year.”

What makes this year’s edition particularly cut-throat is the elite entry system. Only the top 8 players in each draw qualify, meaning there are no easy matches. “Remember we only have eight kids in every draw and all these kids have worked so hard to earn their position in the top eight. So the tournament starts right away,” Bwalya explained. “First round matches are like just on fire right away and you see all the hard work and experience they have put in.”

Bwalya pointed to last year’s tournament as proof of what’s to come, recalling that fans witnessed “one of our best tennis matches last year across all the boards.” He is now urging supporters not to miss this year’s showcase. “You can’t miss to come and watch such high calibre junior tennis tournament that is going to be on display this coming weekend,” he said.

With Zambia’s juniors returning from ITF exposure and fighting for ranking points at home, Love 40 is shaping up to be the biggest junior showdown of the year — a proving ground for the next generation of Zambian tennis stars.

Related

Stay with MUVI

Follow our reporting wherever you are